Hidden Weekly Mock-up Megathread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Pure_GamesRBLX Live.me is not related to Google. Anyways, it doesn’t all have to be about HD because this is a mock-up to show writing skill.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, brickwave said:

Whoa. You actually convinced me that the tycoon thingamajig was a real thing LOL!

:D That's amazing! It would be super cool if that actually happened, but probably not in the near future.

• Telgum featured this topic
  • Telgum changed the title to Hidden Weekly Mock-up Megathread
  • Telgum featured this topic

This is an off-topic article for my school newspaper about apps I made a LOOONG time ago..

High school classes-especially English-are full of writing, editing, revising and completing final drafts. Sometimes, however, remembering all of the grammar rules and ensuring that everything is spelled correctly may be difficult at times. With the length of essays, reports, and papers that high school students are required to write, students can feel enormous amounts of pressure and stress. Therefore, students may ask, "How does one write better, faster, and stress-free?" 

The answer is quite simply laid upon two popular websites: Grammarly and Hemingway Editor. 

Grammarly is a website and desktop application centered around ensuring correct grammar and spelling is present in writing. This is extremely useful in cases that a person may want to write an essay or even a sentence and make sure that the grammar and spelling correspond with each other.  

Hemingway Editor is a website centered around grammar, readability. After or during the writing of the sentence or passage, Hemingway Editor helps provide a person with the readability scale (from grade level 1 to post-college), a suggestion for the replacement of certain words that may not fit with what is being written, and how hard a sentence is to read.  

Both of these websites/apps are free for public use by anyone, however, Grammarly has a "premium" subscription in which a person can receive more grammar tips and have a professional to proofread the document and Hemingway Editor charges to download the app as a computer application. 

In the end, both of these applications are extremely suggested for anyone who wants to write an essay for a class and make sure that the grammar and spelling are correct. After all, this article that is being read this moment was written using both of these websites. 

The Basics

• Use strong passwords. Using a strong password is essential to keeping your account safe. Since a password is often the first, and possibly only, line of defense against an attacker, having a strong password is key to keeping your account safe.

• Use unique passwords. Repeating the same password across multiple sites exponentially increases the risk of your accounts getting compromised. As soon as one of those sites gets its passwords leaked, all your accounts could be at risk if they aren’t unique to that site.

• Use a password manager. Password managers enable you to store many passwords all in one secure place. Most even have browser extensions that enable you to log in without an hassle to you. A great place to store your strong, unique passwords!

• Use two step verification. Two step verification, often abbreviated to 2FA, is a way of having a second line of defense against someone getting into your account. Email or SMS verification is the most common way of having 2FA, and they require you to enter in a 6 to 8 digit code that is sent to your email or phone before the service lets you into your account.

In-Depth Explanation

Use Strong Passwords

We all hear it. “Use a stronger password!” It’s one of the things that we all know we should do, but don’t. Having a strong password means you’re password consists of more than just letters and numbers. It means uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters/symbols (think “< > ! ? : $ % * @ _ } / # ^ -“). In addition, a strong password also contains a lot of characters. While complexity is more important than length in a password, length is also very important in a password. The longer a password is, the less likely it will be able to be cracked and obtained. Finally, use a random password. Humans are TERRIBLE at coming up with random passwords. Thus, use a password generator, such as the one included with password managers, or do what I do, and use a site such as http://passwordsgenerator.net. You may be thinking, “Well why would I do that? I can’t remember it if it’s that long and that complicated.” As Troy Hunt, well known for creating and maintaining the popular site haveibeenpwned.com, says, “The only secure password is the one you can’t remember”. That is to say that, a secure password is one that you just won’t know off the top of your head. It is far too long and complicated for your brain to remember it, so if it’s this complicated, it’s likely safe. Here is an example of a long, strong, random password using the method I use to create my passwords:

*,mc,Z:pCnzi/W6|`.l)~\j)E$jQ%B

This is a password that I would call “strong”. It contains letters (both uppercase and lowercase), symbols, numbers, is 30 characters long, and is completely random. (Now that I’ve posted this to the internet, DO NOT USE THIS AS YOUR PASSWORD. IT IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE AND IS NOT A SECURE PASSWORD.)

Use Unique Passwords

It’s one of those other things we always hear from cyber security experts. “Use a unique password!” It’s true though. Use a unique password for ALL(!!!!!) of your accounts. It makes it so that if one account you have gets hacked, all the accounts you have stay safe from hackers attempting to use that account’s password on another site. Take Facebook and Google. If Facebook is hacked, and all the passwords on it are decrypted and put on the web, your Google account could be at risk if you use the same password on both sites. Someone could take your Facebook password, then attempt to use the same associated email on Google with the same associated password to get into your Google account. NOT GOOD! If you use a unique password for both sides, then that hacker won’t be able to get into your Google account because the password for one won’t work for the other. Remember, the more you use one password on many sites, the easier it becomes for your other accounts to be compromised since there isn’t just one targetable site, there’s many more that hackers can target.

Use a Password Manager

Again, one of those things cyber security expertals ALWAYS say. “Use a password manager!” You may be thinking, “Well, what’s a password manager?” A password manager is a service that allows you to store all your UNIQUE, STRONG, and RANDOM, passwords. Password managers store all your passwords in a secure, encrypted format. Then, depending on the password manager you choose, those encrypted passwords will be stored on your computer or on a server in a secure data center run by a reputable company. There are many password managers on the internet, though not all are necessarily reputable. The most reputable ones include LastPass, Dashlane, 1Password, and RoboForm. All of these are reputable password managers that have proven themselves to be the standard in password management. I personally use LastPass to manage my passwords, and I am happy with it. It has mobile apps, web access, and browser extensions to boot. I have all my passwords wherever I need them, and they’re all in a secure environment. Now, you may be asking now, “If all my passwords are in one spot, then isn’t that a bad thing?” Depending on your view, yes and/or no. Having all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, doesn’t seem like the best of ideas on paper. Though, if that basket is locked in a secure safe, it doesn’t seem as bad. As always, it’s your decision whether or not you want to put all your passwords in one spot, though I do suggest at least putting nonessential account passwords, such as the ones to Steam or Apple, in your password manager. I’ll leave it up to you whether or not you want to put essential accounts, such as banking accounts and crucial email account(s) in there.

Use Two Step Verification / Two Factor Authentication (2FA)

Two Step Verification, also known as Two Factor Authentication or 2FA, is another line of defense against attackers attempting to get into your accounts. Authentication normally needs just one of the following three things: Something you know (such as a password or PIN code), something you are (more commonly known as biometric authentication, and is things like your retina or fingerprint), or something you have (such as a phone or physical security key). Two Factor Authentication takes this a step further, and instead of requiring one of these things, instead requires two of these things, most commonly something you know and something you have. Something you know is already covered by your password, so that is simple. Something you have is most commonly covered by something such as your phone, where a company will send you a text message with a special code in it that you have enter in on the website before it’ll let you in. This is most commonly referred to as SMS verification. Another form is Email Verification, where instead of texting you, a company sends you an email with a code in it that then has to be entered in on a website. A third way that is common for use in 2FA is something similar to Google Authenticator, where a company gives you a secret code that is then scanned into the Google Authenticator app which then generates 6 digit time based one time codes (known as TOTP in the tech industry). A third and final was for use in 2FA is using a physical security key, such as the Yubikey from Yubico. These are physical devices that plug into your computer and authenticate with the service that this device (the little USB stick) is registered to this account, thus it is valid and the person using it is likely to be the owner. A third and final option for use in 2FA is using a physical security key, such as the Yubikey from Yubico. These keys authenticate with the service you're trying to login to, and only work with accounts they've previously been registered with. Physical security keys are less common in the world, but major companies such as Google and Facebook do incorporate them as an option for 2FA.

Other Security Tips

• Http versus https. Http, or Hypertext Transfer Protocol is the way webpages get to your computer. This is indicated by the “http://“ before any webpage on the internet. However, to stay safe on the internet, use https wherever possible. Most often, this is noted by a green padlock in the URL bar at the top of your browser, accompanied by an “https://“ at the beginning of a webpage. This indicates that the data sent on the web page is encrypted, meaning no one else other than you and the server intended to receive the data, can read the actual contents, which can range from cute puppy videos to your credit card number and address. Always make sure you’re on an “https” site before entering your credit card number, social security number, address, or any other personal info on a site. If that “s” is not there, and/or that green padlock is missing, then you are on an insecure site, and any data you use there is at risk of being stolen.

• Learn to avoid phishing attempts. Phishing is the act of creating a web page designed to trick people into giving personal or secure data to an individual or group of individuals who would not normally be entitled to this data. This is done by creating a fake webpage that has the appearance of a legitimate website, but in reality, is not the actual website. For instance, a fake Bank of America website can be set up to look exactly like the real one. Then, thieves attempting to take your bank login information will send an email that attempts to convince you to click on the link to their fake website. Then, you’d enter your login details on the fake website, and your bank login credentials are now theirs, allowing them to siphon all the funds in your bank account into their bank account.

• Use a VPN. A VPN, or Virtual Private Network is a way of encrypting your data then routing it through another service somewhere else in a country to mask the identity of the actual computer requesting the web page. VPNs are commonly used to access another network from one computer. You may use one to access your work network from a computer sitting on your desk at home. Another use for VPNs is the security and privacy side of them, where they encrypt all traffic that goes through them, then routes it through another server somewhere else, making it so that it is harder for people to figure out the originating the computer. Since VPNs encrypt used in this method encrypt all traffic that goes through them, this makes them especially useful when using your phone or computer in a potentially insecure setting, such as at the local coffee shop where someone could be snooping in on your connection so they can steal your data.

Who am I and Why I Made This

I’m Tycoonlover1359, a gamer and cyber security advocate. While I’m no expert in cyber security, I have read countless articles and watched countless videos explaining best security practices for the average consumer. I myself use all or nearly all the security practices discussed in this document, and after a while of getting used to it, I feel much more secure on the web than I do 3 or 4 years ago when I did all the mistakes discussed in this document. I am one who cares about their digital security, and am one of the many who have actually secured their digital lives as best they can. My passwords range from 16 to 100 characters long, depending on the importance of the account and what security standard I was using at the time, not to mention they are all completely random with numbers, letters, and symbols in them. I use two factor authentication on any account I can to make sure that it is me and only me getting into the account in question. I have used all the security practices discussed in this document at one point or another, and they make me feel more secure in the digital world, just as I hope they make you by following them.

As I stated before, I am a gamer, and most commonly, you’ll find me on the platform ROBLOX. A Discord bot, named RoVerify, was created to provide a way for ROBLOX users to link their ROBLOX account to their Discord account so that people could verify who they are on ROBLOX. Recently, however, RoVerify was hacked by an anonymous person with malicious intent. They started off by deleting all of RoVerify’s files, leading to some downtime as the bot was rebuilt. Then, the hacker decided to leak RoVerify’s source code, causing further mayhem. Finally, the hacker released the file with passwords to over 6000 ROBLOX user accounts, used for group management on the ROBLOX site. The bot was quickly taken down before more harm could be done, but it was already too late. The damage had been done to both RoVerify’s reputation and to people’s user accounts. As such, I decided to make this as an advisory to anyone who’s account may be compromised, with steps on how people can secure their account if it’s not already too late.

If you have any other questions for me, or just want to chat, I’m on the RoVerify Support Discord Server, as well as ROBLOX. If you’d like to chat with me about security or just want to say hi, feel free to. I’m friendly and I don’t bite.

Discord: Tycoonlover1359#6970

ROBLOX: Tycoonlover1359

Edited by tycoonlover1359
Correcting errors; rewording a sentence so it actually makes sense.
  • Love 1
  • Upvote 1