Scam Investigator Suggestion.

Guest samuel#0002

Guest samuel#0002

Hey! 

Some may know me as samuel and others as IB5X.

I have a new tip for scam investigators, So. Majority of the scammers Probably are New-ish to discord. (If not discard this). 

And I was thinking we can have a system to let only 2 month+ old accounts into the discord server. This would make it so much more reliable and safe.

• 1 month later...

That would be a pretty good idea actually. Another way, instead of limiting them from the server entirely would be to just limit them from creating hiring/selling posts if their accounts are under 2 months old. This could be easily be done with HiddenBot

• Love 1

That is an amazing idea however that would only really be effective at stopping alts. Believe it or not majority of scammers have either been in the server a long time or been on Discord a long time. Great idea though!

Officially_MrDev (TheBritGuy)
Senior Scam Investigator

Edited by TheBritGuy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, TheBritGuy said:

That is an amazing idea however that would only really be effective at stopping alts. Believe it or not majority of scammers have either been in the server a long time or been on Discord a long time. Great idea though!

Officially_MrDev (TheBritGuy)
Senior Scam Investigator

This is correct, but also some people use alternate accounts to pull off mass scams, even if it doesn't cut down by a lot, it could cut the scam investigation work significantly because scammers who use alternate accounts would have to wait that two month period

I'm sure they'd just wait it out but it could help with scams

• Love 1

On 5/26/2020 at 8:48 PM, thetechguy61705 said:

This is correct, but also some people use alternate accounts to pull off mass scams, even if it doesn't cut down by a lot, it could cut the scam investigation work significantly because scammers who use alternate accounts would have to wait that two month period

I'm sure they'd just wait it out but it could help with scams

I do see your point and there is no doubting that it would drastically reduce our work however we have to factor in that a lot of people who discover our server will be people who are new to Discord in fact I would go as far to say that I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of our new members are also new to Discord. Don't get me wrong it is an amazing suggestion but it wouldn't work within our community.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 8 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, TheBritGuy said:

I do see your point and there is no doubting that it would drastically reduce our work however we have to factor in that a lot of people who discover our server will be people who are new to Discord in fact I would go as far to say that I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of our new members are also new to Discord. Don't get me wrong it is an amazing suggestion but it wouldn't work within our community.

Two months isn't a long period of time, anyone interested in selling their works or hiring other devs will likely survive that period.