UltChowsk

A question to see if something is worth my time and money

Would anyone use a custom datastore service that allows you to share data between games in different universes and between games owned by different users? I want to know if I should release it or not.

Edited by UltChowsk
  • Upvote 2

If you have it, please release it! I believe my first (and possibly only other) post here was a request to see if anyone knew a way of doing so! I know that I for one would certainly use it, were it available!

I use this all the time. There is an entire forum post on roblox on how to connect your game to a google sheets database. Keep in mind you are only scratching the surface because with a few simple edits you could add on not just a key and value but key value value2 and value3. I would definitely recommend this to you if you have the resources.

9 hours ago, Conmmander said:

google sheets database

Oh, I have it hooked up to a SQL server, but that might work as well, and probably help out by allowing me to spread it over multiple servers more easily.

Edited by UltChowsk

@UltChowskI'd definitely use it if it was using an SQL database to store the data. SQL is reliable, and efficient. You basically made everyone's lives simpler.

Although there's one issue:
If games that became popular (I'm talking 10k - 15k on all the time with about 10 - 25 new players a minute) and they used your system there would be a major issue. I'm going to assume you have around 8GB of space for your DB. That will hold up fine... for now. Eventually, data will no longer be able to be stored meaning you'll have to do one of the following:
1) Optimize your DB
2) Delete non-returning players (if a player doesn't play a game for 3 days - 7 days then remove them from the DB)

So, yeah I made my point. Although I would definitely use it if you released it. Just be careful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UltChowsk said:

How?

In the game, require the module and find a way to get a reference to the script. Then parent it to datamodel and use the save place api, then open the game in studio and you can open the modulescript.

20 hours ago, Conmmander said:

I recommend just using google sheets as it is easy to view and edit, as well as has infinate storage capabilties. Not only that but if someone attempts to hack it, you can easily revert the data.

It's not changing the data he's worried about, it's viewing it. When people gain access to view it, some games will become very vulnerable to exploiters.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:15 AM, NewVoids said:

In the game, require the module and find a way to get a reference to the script. Then parent it to datamodel and use the save place api, then open the game in studio and you can open the modulescript.

How would you get a reference to it?

On 9/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, UltChowsk said:

I just require a private module script

ROBLOX allows you to see all HTTP requests from scripts via the developer console as of a recent update, so assume any URLs can be seen by the place owner.

While maintaining and keeping said database secure might be a little bit of a challenge, I know many people are looking for something exactly like this, and it would be beneficial to the community to release the source files for a such a project so people can setup their own, private, databases for their games.

Edited by Sceleratis